4 min read
Full-day workshop about building a design system and a pattern library (React) in a multidisciplinary team.
In the workshop, teams start by creating a visual design language to share. Together, they go through the iterative design process and build modular UI for the product. Teams implement a pattern library using React and optionally styled-components, and document it with Storybook. The exercise contains managing collaborative updates and keeping the code in sync with the design reality. By the end of the day, each team has the product ready, built with the help of their library, and driven by an effective process to ensure smooth updates.
- Introduction to the topic of design systems;
- Creating a visual design language via UI inventory exercise;
- Going through the iterative design process involving team members of different disciplines;
- Working on React UI library;
- Practicing styled-components;
- Using styleguide-driven development for code production;
- Training design system release process;
- Building a product based on the given design system;
- Providing brand changes to the product via the design system.
Open full workshop description
Dive into the world of Design Systems through Storybook and React. You will be a part of a multidisciplinary team with your focus either on development or design. Together, you will create a well-documented pattern library and build a modular website out of its components as a final product.
In the workshop, we will start by creating a visual design language for the team to share. Together, you will go through the iterative design process and build modular UI for the product. You will implement a pattern library using React and optionally styled-components, and document it with Storybook. The exercise contains managing collaborative updates and keeping the code in sync with the design reality. By the end of the day, you will have the product ready, built with the help of your library, and driven by an effective process to ensure smooth updates.
This workshop is all about hands-on doing and somewhat about development, but no pattern library can be built without design or designer, so ideal team will consist of both. A designer and a developer can, of course, co-exist in the same person 🙂 For people with the development mindset some prior experience in React or ES6, and CSS is appreciated.
To participate in the workshop, you will need your own laptop. As a developer or as a designer-developer, you should also have your favorite IDE installed.
The workshop is held at Nordcloud Helsinki Office. You will be in the capable of hands of our design system experts Varya Stepanova, Rami Ertimo, Junaid Rasheed and Mikko Rajala. Other Intergalactico colleagues will offer a helping hand when needed. Teams of about five people will be formed during the workshop. You can come alone or with your friend.
We will serve breakfast, lunch, and coffee + snacks to keep you going the whole day. See you at the Workshop!
- Creating a pattern library is one of the crucial tools for making a living design system. Design system is all about communication, and pattern library can only be built and iterated with a collaborative team.
- During the day you will learn key points how to start creating a pattern library, how to make it living, and how to utilize it to create and change product designs.
Anyone interested in getting hands-on experience in creating a pattern library for a design system. Ideal team consists of designers and developers, but anyone with interest in pattern libraries is welcome.
- How to define and name patterns in a consistent manner
- How to rapidly kickstart a pattern library with Storybook
- How to use a pattern library in a product
- How to make changes to a pattern library in a coordinated fashion
Publically, this workshop was given twice - as a part of DFConf Helsinki, and the second time on its own.
On the 15th of March 2018, the workshop gathered 30 attendees. Working in 6 teams, by the end of the day they delivered 6 different design systems expressed in React code and provided instant brand changes with the help of them.
This time, on 12th of June 2018, 5 teams worked hard to dive into design systems thinking and componentized development.
Hands-on workshop for you
Various editions of this workshop were also used in a range of private workshops I gave for Intergalactico clients. If you are interested in such kind of workshop tailored for your organization, feel free to email me to firstname.lastname@example.org. I am also open to run similar workshops at design or development conferences.